This is a fab recipe to help use up all those extra courgette everyone seems to be growing.
I love courgette but there are only so many days I can eat them in a savory way and I personally don’t like them when they be
And this recipe works really well with courgette that has been frozen (once it has been grated) this is a goodfood recipe slightly modified to remove the nuts and I use a little less oil as it can sometimes be a little oily.
- 350g self-raising flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 125ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 375g golden caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla paste
- Preheat the oven to 180C, line a 24cm cake tin with grease proof paper, or a loaf tin if you want, this isn’t a delicate cake so will hols up in any tin (ive even put this mixture into dinosaur molds).
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder, mixed spice and 1tsp of salt.
- In another bowl mix all of the other cake ingredients.
- Mix the dry and wet mixture until just combined, then pour in your mixture. Bake for about 40-50 mins, or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 10 mins, then turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool.
- Bring the cream to the boil in a saucepan, then pour over the chocolate and stir until completely smooth.
- Leave the icing to cool slightly and thicken, then spread it over the cake so it’s covered and the icing starts to drip down the sides. it is particularly nice put in the microwave for 30 seconds.